So I have a secret. There is a tried and tested way to get your kids to eat a ton of healthy ingredients all in one bite. There is nothing a child will eagerly reach out for quicker than they will for a cookie. That is the secret. Take a generous amount of nutrient dense foods, combine them, and create something- anything that you then label as a cookie. It works every time.
This specific recipe has no added sugars but it is loaded with flavour. More importantly, it is also loaded with some very beneficial super foods. These little bites of goodness have everything our children need to feel happy, healthy, and satisfied. We get an impressive amount of protein from the quinoa, nuts, and chia seeds. Our essential healthy fats are provided by the coconut and also the walnuts and chia. The fibre from the banana, quinoa, oats, and again, the chia seeds (yes, these little gems are amazing) all help to keep those digestive systems in tip top shape. These Quinoa Cranberry Cookies will give our kids just the energy they need to get through their day but without any added sugars, preservatives, or additives. It’s just the way nature intended.
Quinoa Cranberry Cookies
- 1 mashed ripe banana
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup whole oats
- 1/8 heaping cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/8 heaping cup dried cranberries (or raisins or chopped dates)
- 1/8 heaping cup crushed walnuts (or any nut or seed. Opt for a nut/seed butter for those littles who still have some trouble chewing)
- 1 Tbsp. cashew milk (or any milk/milk alternative)
- ½ Tbsp. chia seeds
- ¼ Tsp. ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients.
3. Using a 1/8 measuring cup, scoop up some mixture, level it out, and dollop the batter on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
4. Bake for 10 minutes or until the bottom starts to turn golden brown.