Chickpea Fritters are one of the best homemade things to have on hand. They are the ultimate healthy snack but also can compliment any meal like a dream. They have got what most snacks lack: a beautiful plant-based protein. However, I also love that they are a veggie-dominant snack. Most of the easy, go-to snacks families tend to rely on are fruit based, and often contain some amounts of added sugars. These chickpea fritters are a pure, sugar free, nutrition packed option. We also love adding mashed avocado on top as a delicious spread. As for completing a meal, it's as easy as pairing them with a simple salad. Boom-dinner is ready is minutes. These fritters also freeze very well which is great news for those with the busy as hell lifestyle....um, hi! When I make these for my daughter, I make smaller bite-sized fritters so they are easier for her.
- 1 chickpea egg: (1/4 cup chickpea flour + ¼ cup water mixed together-or use a poultry egg)
- 1 cup grain based flour (I used spelt flour).
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1.5 Tsp. baking powder
- ¾ cup grated carrots
- 1/3 cup leafy greens, chopped finely (spinach or kale are both great).
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp. freshly basil
- 1 Tbsp. freshly oregano
- 1 + 2/3rd cups of cooked/canned chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup milk/milk alternative
- In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 chickpea flour and 1/4 cup water to make the chickpea egg, if using. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, nutritional yeast, and baking powder.
- Using a food processor, grate the carrot. Then add the leafy greens, onion, and fresh herbs and pulse a few times until everything is finely diced. Add the chickpea egg (or regular egg) with the chickpeas, lemon juice, oil, and milk. *Note: you can choose to simply pulse these ingredients for a chunkier textured fritter or blend smooth for a fritter that resembles a thick pancake.
- Pour out the wet ingredients from the processor into the bowl of dried goods and stir thoroughly.
- Heat some avocado oil, grass fed butter, ghee, or coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place fritter batter on the skillet in ¼ cup measurements. Slightly flatten out and shape the fritter using a fork or spoon.
- Cook the fritters for about 4-5 minutes and flip to cook the opposite side.
- Serve warm.