I wanted to deliver a recipe for the ones who struggle with healthy snack ideas. Many of us have a hard time preparing nutritionally supportive snacks that we also find exciting. Eating right does not have to be a challenge and snacks can be as simple as veggies and dip, fruit, and trail mix but we all know that gets old fast. These fritters serve as an ideal pick me up as they are high in protein, fibre, flavour, and beneficial nutrients. They also are a great side option to form a complete meal. One of these babies alongside your morning smoothie can promise for a graze-free morning. The patties also do great when paired with those colourful salads that are popular come lunch or dinner time. They can be enjoyed hot or cold and they even freeze well if you wanted to save some for those moments in life where a great protein packed nibble is needed. Enjoy!
Indian Spiced Chickpea Fritters
*Vegan, Gluten-free, and Nut-free
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1.5 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 Tsp. turmeric
- 1 Tsp. garam masala
- ½ Tsp. coriander
- ½ Tsp. ground cumin
- ½ Tsp. red chilli flakes
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1+2/3RD cup canned or cooked chickpeas
- ¾ cup milk/milk alternative
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. minced gingerroot
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- Ghee/coconut oil
1. In a small bowl, mix together the chickpea flour and water and set aside
2. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and spices).
3. In a blender or food processor, blend together the chickpeas, milk, and lemon juice until you reach a creamy consistency.
4. Scoop the chickpea batter out into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Add the chickpea egg (chickpea flour and water), and leftover chopped veggies (carrot, onion, gingerroot, and cilantro) and mix well.
5. Warm a large skillet over medium-low heat and add roughly one tablespoon of ghee or coconut oil.
6. Add the chickpea fritter batter in rounds about ¼ cup in size. Flatten out evenly with a spatula or spoon to ensure even cooking.
7. Cook each side for a few minutes each until the sides solidify and start to brown lightly.
8. Set aside to cool. Eat hot or cold. Store in the refrigerator or the freezer.