I must admit that I have only tried tofu a handful of times. The texture has always kind of weirded me out and I find I only enjoy it in certain dishes. However I can officially say that crispy tofu has definitely changed my verdict. I’m personally a huge fan of crunch and crisp so the moment I first tried tofu in this different light, I was immediately sold. If you happen to have friends or family members that are on the fence about tofu, crisp it up because they will not even be able to deny the love. Seriously.
Tofu is now a staple in our home and for several reasons:
- It's quick and easy to prepare
- It's versatile
- It considers everybody's lifestyle
- Organic tofu is a great source of protein and for dirt cheap
- It's crispy...need I say more?
How to make Crispy Tofu
- 175g extra firm organic tofu
- ¼-1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot powder
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Remove the tofu brick from the packaging and place between two paper towels.
- Place a plate on top of the tofu to help express the liquid out. Let sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Take your tofu and drain any excess liquid that may be left. Cut the brick into cubes.
- Sprinkle the sea salt onto the tofu cubes and toss evenly to coat.
- Sprinkle the arrowroot powder bit by bit (you may not need the full amount) onto the tofu and toss evenly to coat. It should take on a gummy appearance.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet and add the tofu once heated through. Pan fry the tofu on each side for a couple of minutes until the cubes turn crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from heat and set aside once fully cooked. Serve right away to enjoy the full crisp.
*The tofu only stays crispy for up to a few hours so it is best eaten fresh. Once hours have passed or it has been refrigerated, the tofu will take on its original chewy form.