This smoothie recipe is so basic and simple but it’s been my go-to for the majority of my pregnancy. Prior to falling pregnant, I despised the strong banana presence in smoothie so I refrained from using them. Turns out, this baby girl growing inside of me has a real sweet tooth and just loves her morning smoothies with bananas. No matter what other recipe blends I try, this is the ultimate favourite. I have enjoyed it almost daily since the beginning of my time as an expecting mother.
This smoothie is also the perfect blend to use as a green smoothie converter. Fellow spouses, family members (including kids), and friends will all fall for this one without hesitation. Although it is a green smoothie, it does not appear to be. The berries make it a perfect and inviting purple blend as opposed to looking like some green glass of a hippie, tree hugging blend of a potion.
Banana-Berry Green Smoothie
*Makes 1 large serving
- 1 large handful spinach
- ½ ripe banana
- ½ heaping cup of frozen mixed berries (add ice chips if using fresh)
- 1 heaping Tbsp. plain Greek yogurt (or any dairy-free alternative for a vegan recipe)
- 2 Tbsp. hemp hearts
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tsp. pysllium husk (feel free to use chia seeds or ground flax here)
- 1 Tsp. ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1.5-2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
- Place all ingredients in your blender and mix away!
*Note: I like to add all of the ingredients to the blender and let sit to thaw for a couple of minutes. This ensures a nice creamy blend with the perfect texture.