We may not make friends with salads but we can with dip. I have made this specific recipe for a few occasions and it never fails-I am always approached for the recipe. It is full of flavour, full of fun, and full of colourful nutrients. The versatility of the dip can lead to so many culinary masterpieces. Mix it in with rice or pasta, dollop it on top of your favourite baked or grilled protein or vegetable. Use it in tacos or on tostadas as I have done here. Toss it with some leafy greens for a fresh, hearty salad or of course, use it as a dip.
The Fiesta Dip is a marvellous way to make friends at barbeques, potlucks, parties, or meetings. It is served cold which is ideal and the recipe makes quite a large batch. It is easy to personalize and it is oh so easy to enjoy. Using fresh and local produce during the summer months makes the dip that much more scrumptious as the organic, uncompromised flavours of the vegetables seep through with every juicy bite.
Nutty's Fiesta Dip
- 1 ½ cups corn kernels (thawed from frozen or fresh)
- 1 can of rinsed black beans
- 5 medium hot house tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large handful of cilantro, chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Juice of half a lime, freshly squeezed
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground cumin (to taste)
- 1 tsp. chilli powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. Chill in the refrigerator or serve right away.
*To make the tostadas as pictured:
Layer corn tostadas with mashed avocado (I omitted the avocado from the salad), finely shredded iceberg lettuce, and a generous amount of the Fiesta Dip.