I have a confession. I have never attempted to make real jam and after coming up with this recipe, I never will. The process seems so tedious and lengthy and all for a spread loaded with too much sugar and preservatives. My hell-bent on health version takes all of 10 minutes to make and is a complete guilt-free ingredient for those precious PB & J sandwiches. Thankfully, all-natural peanut butters (and other nut and seed butters) are everywhere and now we have an all-natural jelly to go with them.
The chia seeds in this recipe allow the jam to thicken nicely and of course add an array of health benefits. Really though, where have chia seeds been all of our lives? These little seeds of power are without a doubt, a top super food. Include these little gems in your diets wherever and whenever you can. This jam could be made with absolutely any fruit you desire. You could also extend the shelf-life by another couple of days by adding a generous squirt of fresh lemon juice as the final step.
Strawberry Chia Jam
*Makes ~1 cup serving
- 1 cup frozen fruit of your choice (in this case, strawberries)
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 4 drops of liquid stevia or ½ packet of powdered stevia (or to taste)
- Soften the fruit in a skillet over medium heat.
- Once softened, turn the heat off and mash the fruit with a fork. Leave some chunks if you desire.
- Add the water (use less if you prefer thicker spreads), chia seeds, and stevia and stir together.
- Remove from heat to let set.
- Enjoy right away or store in a glass jar in the fridge (and use within 7 days).