Who loves strawberries? And who loves coconut? What about cheesecake? If you don't-get outta here, you are officially diagnosed as crazy-by me! This cake has been part of my life for a couple of years now and it is a staple. It definitely is more of a summer staple but it's my go to when I need an easy yet delicious (and always nutritious) dessert when I'm in a bind. My friends rave over this cake and that's a great thing. Wine night accompanied with a more health conscious sweet treat is never a bad thing!
This recipe creates a lighter cake than a traditional cheesecake and it's a no bake so it's ready fairly quickly with little mess. The crust is made of only 2 ingredients (score) and uses only dates to subtly sweeten it's foundation. The filling also uses minimal ingredients and the best part is that this cake can easily be made vegan. With an effortless swap of a couple of the ingredients-you have yourself a plant based dessert. Fun for all! Feel free to switch out the strawberries for whatever fruit you are fancy-ing lately. This treat is the perfect way to win over healthy eating skeptics and it will please everyone.
I'm currently day dreaming of indulging in a hefty piece of this no bake cake while sitting on my balcony in summer time. I'm wearing sun glasses, a floral maxi dress, and nothing on my feet. My cat loafs are relaxing outside with me basking in the rays of sun. I have a glass of chilled white wine in one hand and my mini fork in the other. Mini utensils are a god send. Cake lasts SO much longer when you are taking in baby sized bites. What a perfect summer afternoon. My spirits are so badly anticipating summer this year. Daydreams such as this one keeps me trucking along. Thank goodness for strawberries, coconut, cheesecake, cats, wine, and summer!
Strawberry Coconut Cheesecake
*Makes 1 round 8" cake
- 3/4 cup raw pecans
- 20-22 pitted dates
- Coconut cream from 1 chilled can of FULL FAT coconut milk*
- 6 oz (3/4 a brick) of light plain cream cheese (use Daiya or Tofutti cream cheese for a vegan cake).
- 5 tbsp honey (or other sweetener of your choice).
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4-1 cup of frozen strawberries
*Place can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight and the cream will all rise to the top-you only need the cream, discard the water or use it in a smoothie. ✨Note-the longer the can is stored in the fridge, the thicker your cream will be. I store a few cans in the fridge as soon as I buy them and don't use them until weeks later-they are always perfect!
- Pulse pecans in a food processor or blender until you reach a fine crumb texture. Add the dates and pulse until all crumbled and combined. Press down firmly into an 8 inch round dish and refrigerate as you prepare the filling.
- Scoop out coconut cream only into a large bowl (use some liquid only if the cream is too thick to beat).
- Add all other ingredients except the strawberries and beat with an electric hand mixer.
- Warm frozen strawberries on a skillet until soft and than mash and fold into the coconut cream cheese mixture.
- Pour the filling into the crust and garnish with whatever you want! (Try more strawberries, sliced almonds, pecans, coconut ribbon, raw cacao nibs, etc).
- Refrigerate or freeze the cake for a few hours before serving. Keep any remaining cake stored in the fridge or freezer.
What are everyone's plans for the weekend? I have a fun filled couple of days planned with some meal prepping scheduled for Sunday evening. I, of course have some "me time" penciled in and I'm going for a 90 minute float.