So I was scrolling through my old recipes the other day and found this blog post written out. I cannot believe I have not posted this magical muffin yet. Evidently this recipe was made up in fall and it's a replica muffin of Starbucks Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin. I tried it once and had a straight up foodgasm so I knew I had to make my own version to save my health and my wallet. Pumpkin never goes out of style and a bonus is that pumpkin puree will be fully stocked on the shelves since fall has passed. Here is my original post I had written for this recipe:
My husband and I used to go and watch movies all the time. I love watching movies. I frequently have movie marathons at home where I do absolutely nothing but watch, eat, cuddle with my fur babies and my man, press pause to go tinkle, and continue on. It had been a very long time since actually hitting up a theatre so Walter and I decided to go this past weekend. We watched Gone Girl with Ben Affleck. And holy shit…talk about…creepy. It was longer but unlike most “never ending, hurry the eff up, when is this over I have to pee like a mad women who is 9 months pregnant” films these days it kept you interested the whole time. You were always left wondering what was going to happen next and you were disturbed yet intrigued. I will not spoil it for anyone but just in case you were wondering it is definitely unlike any other film. I would give it a good rating but it surely leaves you feeling...uneasy. My husband and I left the theater almost scared of one another and felt like sleeping with one eye open that night.
Thankfully, muffins make life a little bit less scary. And pumpkin cream cheese muffins make fear disappear slowly with every delicate bite. When we got home, I opened up my container that was cradling my lovely collection of freshly made muffins from earlier in the day. I carefully picked out the biggest, most perfect, most likely to vanish my unsettling emotions-muffin. I quickly forgot about the fact that I was supposed to be questioning exactly who my husband is and what he thinks and I slept like a log. He admittedly had a few nightmares and I told him that he should have had a Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin. Conclusion: pumpkin cream cheese muffins are not only amazing in general but they also cure fear and paranoia all while promoting a good night's rest.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
*Makes 14 muffins
- 2 tbsp. ground flax
- 6 tbsp. warm water
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk (or any milk/milk alternative)
- ½ tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten free flour
- ¾ cup buckwheat flour
- ¼ cup ground almonds/almond meal
- ¾ cup coconut palm sugar
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum (omit if your all-purpose gf flour already has it)
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- Pumpkin seeds to garnish
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- ½ cup plain cream cheese or Daiya/Tofutti cream cheese for a vegan recipe
- 3-4 tbsp. pure maple syrup (depending on sweetness you desire)
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flax and warm water. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine the milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients (flours, almond meal, coconut sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, xanthan gum, and sea salt) in a medium large bowl.
- Prepare the frosting by mixing the three simple ingredients together with an electric hand mixer. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix the pumpkin puree, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, flax and water, and milk and vinegar. Pour into the large bowl with the sifted dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the muffin batter into muffin liners halfway. Scoop about a teaspoon sized serving of frosting in the middle of each muffin and garnish with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool before serving.
Who has seen Gone Girl and what did you think? If you haven't seen it, you have had a fair warning to make these muffs before the event!