Oh coffee. I used to not like anything about it. I despised the smell, the taste, everything about it, really. Fast forward to today where I love everything about it. Even when I don’t feel like having coffee, the smell excites every fibre of my being …I think coffee to me is like chocolate for normal people. I’ll call myself out even more on my weirdness and admit that I’m not a morning coffee person. The thought of caffeine first thing in the morning makes my stomach turn. My coffee routine is scheduled for after lunch. It’s my little dessert if you will…bringing me blissfully into the afternoon.
I’m sure we have all seen Food Babe’s breakdown of ingredients for Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte that has been circulating. If not, you can check it out here: http://foodbabe.com/2014/08/25/starbucks-pumpkin-spice-latte/. I knew Starbucks was terrible for us a long time ago. I’m fully aware that when I go there and order...anything really that I’m not nourishing my body. But I’m consciously making that choice. I also eat French fries, chips, anything potato related, cake, pizza, and other frowned upon foods. I have come a very long way and I’m proud of myself. I understand what I am eating and I make conscious choices to eat what I eat, when I eat it. I’m all for moderation, balance, and enjoying life. Maybe a year from now I will have progressed even more and choose to eat even less crap foods, maybe not. Who knows and who cares? Until then, I will eat to live and that will include all types of food.
Now, on to the feature of the day. As big of a Starbucks freak as I am/was, I had never tried the Salted Caramel Mocha until very recently. I was on a Starbucks and website development date with my dear friend Ashley, (you may know her as Rae of Sunshine) and she ordered one and I said why not, I’ll try one too. With all of my recent food blogging activities, I have been having several Starbucks stop-ins on lunch breaks and often feel like indulging in one of these babies. Fortunately for me, spending the $6+ on it isn’t so tempting. I decided to see if I could make my own version of it today, and guess what….your welcome is what ;) Cheers caffeine lovers!
Salted Caramel Mocha
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. chocolate (I used Enjoy Life chocolate chips)
- ½ heaping tbsp. of coconut palm sugar (or an organic sugar)
- ½-1 tsp. cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. coconut nectar
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or any milk/milk alternative of your choice)
- Double shot of espresso
- ¼ cup coconut whipped cream
- ½ tsp. pure maple flakes (optional garnish)
- ½ tsp. coconut nectar (optional garnish)
- Pinch of sea salt
*Note: I do not own a fancy espresso machine so I made my bevy mostly stove top. My espresso shots were brewed using a Tassimo.
- In a small pot, warm your milk of choice over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate small pot, mix and melt together the “mocha syrup” ingredients over the lowest heat. Stir frequently and remove from heat once the chocolate has fully melted and the ingredients are combined.
- Pour the espresso shots, the “mocha syrup,” and the almond milk together in a mug and stir.
- Top the beverage with coconut whipped cream and your remaining garnish ingredients.