I have personally known Ivy for many years. I know her as "Ate Beng" and she has always been a very influential person in my life. My group of friends that I grew up with are Seventh Day Adventists and they had choir that I joined. Ate Beng was the choir director, guiding not only our voices but also our life choices. She was always so incredibly easy to approach and you could open up to her about anything and everything. She offered a sense of genuine comfort as judging others was never something she practiced. She has recently changed a few of her daily routines and now I find her energy even more inviting, inspiring, and as contagious as ever. I am happy to share with you all a written interview I had with Ivy that demonstrates just how enlightening others from all walks of life can be.
1. Hi Ivy! First of all, thank you for joining me and opening up to us about your life. Having known you for many years and following you on Instagram for some time, I couldn't help but notice you have made some lifestyle changes recently. What are some of the major changes you have made?
I think the major changes would have to be just making better and smarter choices for myself in regards to my health and general well-being.
2. What influenced you to make such positive changes and what results have you experienced since implementing them?
Unfortunately, it took me being diagnosed with Cancer years ago and most recently, the last stage of Cirrhosis of the liver to really understand what healthy living truly entails...which is making better choices when it comes to food, exercise, and mentally having a different perspective on life in general. Since then, I've never felt this good in my life. Sure, I've lost tons of weight and try to be active every day but more so the main change I've experienced is having a more positive outlook and to be content with this life that was given to me. I can honestly say that I am truly happy!
3. Where do you find the strength and support when you need it the most on those hard days that we all experience?
My motivation and strength I find are from those individuals that I have come across during all my years of being sick and are not well themselves, if not worse. Some of them are still fighting for their lives, others sadly have gone. I look to those experiences and life lessons and try to remind myself that this life journey is for me to take and to do it for those I love the most and love me back. Most importantly, I find my strength in a God who is ever faithful and can see me through the toughest days.
4. What are three things you include in your daily routine that brings you comfort and peace?
1) Meditation and prayer
2) Music for sure!
3) Nature and being outdoors every day
5. What do you see when you look in the mirror?
I see a lot of flaws, but totally okay about it now. Even when I stumble and get off track with my health, I happily accept who I am and continue to move forward.
-Life with Ivy-
1. What is your favourite quote?
3. What is your/a favourite healthy recipe?
I love drinks! So here are a couple of my favourite smoothie recipes. They may be similar to other recipes but I tweaked them to how I like them :)
Beets Blueberry Peach Green Smoothie
- 1/2 cup frozen banana
- 1 pitted yellow peach
- 1/2 cup of beets, peeled and cooked (I freeze mine after)
- 1/2 small carrot
- A generous handful of kale or spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried moringa powder (aka Malungay leaves that I buy fresh and then dry them)
- 1 cup of coconut water
- 1/2 cup of filtered water (or you can use apple juice not from concentrate if you want the smoothie a little sweeter)
Blend it all together and drink! Add ice cubes if you want it nice and cool.
Green Mint Smoothie
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 pitted yellow peach
- A generous handful of spinach
- 8 mint leaves (I like mine really minty so I add more)
- A few ice cubes
- 8 ounces of coconut water
Blend it all together and drink!
*Follow Ivy's positive minded, doggy filled, life loving journey via Instagram @IVYDS90. Her photographs are breath taking (as you can see), her captions-moving and her outlook-truly enlightening.